From a Spring 2021 Career Center event, here are interview tips for you to be at your best on interview day:
- Narrate moments you are thinking so we know why there is a pause, especially in phone interviews.
- Asking for clarification is not a bad thing, it demonstrates critical thinking and avoids wasting time.
- If you get nervous, wiggle your toes. That cuts off the fight or flight reaction brought on by stressful interviews or questions.
- Do not diminish your work with words like basic or simple.
- Find ways to incorporate motivation to pursue the field you’re in throughout your interview responses.
- Be aware of which stage of the interview you are at and with whom you are interviewing (recruiter, HR, hiring manager, etc.) to help tailor your responses and ask questions that will help you in the following stages.
- Remember that interviewers are trying to see how much knowledge and experience you have AND if you have the motivations and behavioral competencies that align with our culture and demands. Be sure to highlight both concepts in your answers.