There’s always a Massachusetts connection.
At MassLive, we have no shortage of stories to chase. We’re seeking a News Reporter with a proven record of breaking news reporting, identifying trending topics and producing pieces that promote conversation and prompt action.
The right candidate understands the importance of breaking news quickly and accurately, is versatile and can add a human perspective to hard news stories. This is a fast-paced beat in a dynamic newsroom. MassLive is one of the largest news websites in Massachusetts. We thrive on delivering breaking news to readers wherever they are, quickly, as well as deep-dive investigative reporting.
This position will be based in MassLive’s downtown Worcester office, opened in 2018 as part of the site’s statewide expansion. In a continually shifting media landscape shaped by declining revenues for many legacy companies, MassLive Media continues to make strategic investments in targeted growth areas including Worcester County.
In Western Mass., the traditional core market for the site and its affiliated newspaper The Republican, the site has been the digital leader since its launch in 1998 and has one of the deepest market penetrations in the country. MassLive also covers Greater Boston on a daily basis, covering breaking news, the State House, and major storylines while also providing pro sports coverage with beat writers traveling with the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics.
You should apply to our Worcester News Reporter role if you:
- Are a high-energy reporter who can work with efficiency, creativity, accuracy and good judgment
- Really want to be first to report something
- Engage on social media platforms regularly and follow trends
- Are a news junkie with a pulse on the big stories happening at any given moment
- Have humility, a sense of humor, relentless curiosity and bring passion to your reporting
- Have skills in digital storytelling via text, photo and video
Job requirements include:
- Degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Proven talent in journalism reporting and writing
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Skills for utilizing a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience