Journalistic fellowship with a paid master’s degree and full-time job opportunity!
As part of our ongoing commitment to building diverse newsrooms that reflect the communities we serve, Advance Local Media is offering an exciting and unique opportunity to pursue a paid online master’s degree with the Syracuse University Newhouse School of Communications.
Through this diversity fellowship program, you will receive real-life experience working full-time with Advance Media New York and Syracuse.com while earning your master’s degree part-time (3 credit hours per semester). The program features a flexible work start date to coincide with Syracuse University’s online academic term, beginning in October.
Advance Media New York (a company of Advance Local Media) is a digitally focused company that operates Syracuse.com, NYUp.com, NY Cannabis Insider and Central New York Magazine, and is responsible for multimedia ad sales, marketing and content for The Post-Standard.
As an Advance Local Reporting Fellow with Advance Media New York, you will be part of a dynamic and inclusive newsroom team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies. Your success will come from producing news stories for various platforms while meeting audience demand for immediacy, depth and engagement. You’ll be supported by our leadership team, your colleagues, and our commitment to provide resources for your successful journalism career.
In your role during the academic program, you will work and develop as a Reporter to:
- Help us tell stories through written text and video that go beyond the who and what, to give the how and why that help us bring change to our communities
- Gather information and write journalistically sound news items that are: balanced and factual; timely and topical; and, well-sourced and contextually correct
- Interact on social media platforms, sharing articles, answering questions, promoting your topic and the newsroom’s initiatives
- Bring a diverse mindset, through your voracious consumption of news about Syracuse
- Pitch stories about news, trends and conversations about what’s happening in the community
For this position we’re looking for candidates with:
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field, with demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely, under deadline pressure while prioritizing tasks
- Understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience with search engine optimization practices and social media to source and promote content
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, digital, etc.
- Relevant internships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Diverse candidates preferred