Milliman’s Seattle healthcare practice provides consulting services to clients in the healthcare industry including health plans, government payers, providers, and reinsurers. We are looking for a fall intern to work with consulting actuaries in the development and use of actuarial models for various uses, including pricing and forecasting. This position provides an excellent introduction to the healthcare actuarial field.
While somewhat flexible on timing, we expect the intern to work onsite from our Seattle office for a 12-week period during the September 2023 – December 2023 timeframe.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Analyze healthcare data and produce reports using spreadsheets and databases
- Assist with research and marketing projects
- Prepare presentations for Milliman staff and clients
- Participate in “Lunch & Learn” trainings with experienced actuaries and partners in the firm
To be successful in this role, you have the following qualifications:
- Working towards or completed a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Economics, or another related field
- Working towards successful completion of one or more Society of Actuaries (SOA) exams
- College GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Expected graduation date no later than December 2024
- Interest in an actuarial career
- Willingness and aptitude for detail work
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with Excel
- Knowledge of database/statistical analysis language (SQL, SAS, or R)
- Knowledge or training in computer programming language
This position is based out of the Milliman office in Seattle, WA. Applicants must be willing to work onsite full-time.
The hourly range is $24 to $36, depending on relevant factors, including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, location, etc.
- When an intern, temporary, or seasonal employee reaches 1,000 hours worked within 12 consecutive months, they become eligible for a 401(k) plan with matching program and profit sharing contribution
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) starts accruing on the first day of work and can be used for any reason. Interns, Temporary, and Seasonal Employees will earn PTO each pay period, with an accrual rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked.
- Milliman will work with your university for school credit requirements if applicable.
Independent for 75 years, Milliman delivers market-leading services and solutions to clients worldwide. Today, we are helping companies take on some of the world’s most critical and complex issues, including retirement funding and healthcare financing, risk management and regulatory compliance, data analytics and business transformation.
Through a team of professionals ranging from actuaries to clinicians, technology specialists to plan administrators, we offer unparalleled expertise in employee benefits, investment consulting, healthcare, life insurance and financial services, and property and casualty insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)