Personal Statement Guidelines for Career Center Internship Funding Program Application
As part of the application process for the Duke Career Center’s Internship Funding Program, you will be required to submit a personal statement. The personal statement is a critical component of the application as it serves are a personal narrative about your interests and goals related to your summer experience. The selection committee will place a significant amount of focus on your personal statement so it is imperative that you develop a statement that best reflect you and your summer experience. When developing your personal statement we recommend that you consider the following guidelines:
- Limit your statement to 3 pages, double spaced, with one inch margins
- Describe the organization that is hosting your internship, research or experiential program
- Describe your prospective role and responsibilities
- Discuss how this opportunity will advance your personal, professional and/or intellectual learning goals
- Relate the experience to your academic coursework and prior experiences
- Address how this opportunity is unique and will provide an experience that cannot be received through a paid position
- Discuss what you are hoping to gain from the experience in addition to how you plan to contribute to the organization
- Overall, why is this opportunity important to you and what impact will the experience have on you as a person or in your career development
Career advisors are available by appointment to assist you with reviewing and revising your personal statement. Please note that advisors will not create or write your statement but serve as a resource in critiquing your document. Appointments can be schedule through your Handshake account.
Additional information regarding the Duke Career Center’s Internship Funding Program including eligibility criteria and application process can be found on Career Hub.
Questions regarding the Internship Funding Program’s application process can be forwarded to Leigh Ann Waring in the Duke Career Center.