You’ve built your career path, it’s time to reflect and refine.
Reflect on the actions you have taken and what you have learned. Noting how your self-knowledge and experience aligns with various career options will help you determine how to use this information to clarify your next steps. Remember this is an adaptable, ongoing process that will have moments of uncertainty. Continue to evaluate and refine as you discover more information to help get you closer to your goals.
Here, find curated information on the following topics:
- Explore Your Interests / Self Assessment
- Build My Network, and
- General Professional Development
Or, visit communities for any of these topics directly:
Answer on your own and/or discuss with a mentor or adviser
- Based on your experience, research and/or knowledge, how would you describe what you learned?
- What questions do you still have about the areas you explored?
- Where can you add specificity or detail to further direct your research, experience and/or knowledge?
- Looking back through the Career Development Process, consider what worked well and what could be adapted for the future iterations of this process. Are there certain areas where you need to spend more time or where you need additional support or guidance?
- Did you accomplish what you set out to discover through the Career Development Process or discover something else? Remember you can go through the process again if you need more information.
- What are your next steps after reviewing your progress?
- How comfortable are you taking risks when making decisions? How much information do you need to move forward with a decision?
- Think about experiences you have had that occurred as a result of chance. How might that influence your thinking about next steps?
- Process your experience, research and knowledge in a way that works best for you (writing, talking with people who support you, visualizing, etc.).
- Review decision making resources:
- Create a mind map to further refine and identify themes of what to explore next.
- Make an appointment with a career adviser to talk about your findings, identify common themes, patterns and possible next steps.
- View the online Professional Goal Setting course, develop and use your Individual Development Plan (IDP) described in the course and take your next steps.