Take the next step on your career journey: see what’s out there, and explore your options.
Research internships, jobs and industries that align with your interests, strengths, skills and personal circumstances. This research will help you discover, validate and eliminate options leading to more focused career exploration.
Here, find curated information on the following topics:
- Explore Your Interests / Self Assessment
- Find an Internship
- Search for a Job / Employer
- Build My Network, and
- General Professional Development
Or, visit communities for any of these topics directly:
Be sure to explore skills that you many need to develop in this stage of the process:
- Relationship Development
Answer these questions on your own, or discuss with an advisor.
- What activities make you lose track of time? Do those activities relate to a career of interest?
- What are the priorities guiding your search? (see Know Yourself)
- How do you prefer to research topics? Can you apply those methods to this exploration process?
- What are you learning through your career research and how are you applying that knowledge?
- How are you deciding what you want to continue pursuing and what is no longer of interest–considering your research?
- Attend events hosted by the Career Center, other departments at Duke or by other institutions.
- Attend employer-hosted and student organization events that allow you to learn more about an industry or company.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in careers you are exploring using the Duke Alumni Directory, LinkedIn, the Networking Guide, DEMAN.
- Research/subscribe/follow professional associations and professionals in industries of interest online, including social media and newsletters, to gain ongoing knowledge within the field.
- Explore career areas through What Can I Do With This Major? and Courses and Guides below.